MoltenThought Logo
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
Sir Winston Churchill

7.02.2005

Sushi: Not As Hard As It Looks

MF signed us up for a course at Johnson & Wales as an anniversary gift. The courses are in such high demand that for our December anniversary we got to take a class in April. Such is life.

We (well, he) decided on sushi, since it's something we both enjoy. It was also out first meal together sans chaperones. Our first date was a blind double with some married friends of mine.

Our official first "grown up" date was sushi followed by "The Return of the King." What a night. I'd never had bona fide sushi before. I'd always danced around it, taking the smoked salmon, crab or veggie rolls as safe alternatives to going "all the way". He was very familiar with the cuisine, having traveled to Asia many times and so ordered for me. I remember threatening him with a lawsuit if I got sick or, worse, hated it. He taught me how to mix the wasabi with the soy and where the ginger goes in the course (I had previously put it on top of each piece and then doused it with soy sauce like an idiot. Who knew it was a palate cleanser between pieces?).

I was soooo scared it would taste the way old fish smelled. After the first bite, I understood what all the fuss was about. Mmmm. Sweet, mild, almost buttery. Very good stuff.

So no worries, we sailed right through the suhi course, high-fiving each other every once in awhile when we found we were "winning" by catching on faster and completing our work with more panache.

Now if I can just figure out how to juggle those knives...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home