MoltenThought Logo
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
Sir Winston Churchill

11.04.2006

Hot Coffee, Cold Coffee

It's that time again. Grab your mugs.

We got our first really hard freeze last night. I was expecting the landscape to look all frosty this morning, but lack of rainfall dashed my hopes. No frosty gleam on the grass, none hanging from the trees, just a cold house and frozen air. No one is much moving in the cul-de-sac this morning. All's quiet in suspended animation.

I think the squirrels are on steroids. I've never seen such fat, daring -- let's be blunt -- arrogant little rats in my life. They act like they own the joint. They drink out of my solar fountain, skitter along the back patio and scramble up to the house without even a pause to say, "good morning". And they're the size of house cats. *Geez.* I'm telling you, Alfred Hitchcock had his game a little off. "The Squirrels," is much scarier a premise than, "The Birds." Think about it.

Which reminds me -- you should see "Hoodwinked," if you haven't already. Way fun.

Went to the Mass for All Saints Day. *sigh* Lovely. It was presided over by our Bishop -- the sweetest, most energetic, funny and profoundly spiritual old gentleman in the world. I just love him. He did a corporate blessing and suddenly, I was so happy I almost cried. A tickly giggle of laughter welled up inside me and I my whole face tingled. I felt high. It was a very Pentecostal, caught-up-in-the-Spirit, kind of affair. I know everyone thought I was goofy. I just sat through the rest of Mass grinning like a dope.

My BFF came over last night. I cooked dinner for her and Tef; Pan-seared shrimp, broiled king clip with lemon parmesan; seasoned rice; salad; crusty cheese bread; port (well for me, anyway). We cleaned TiVo out on the last 2 episodes of "Heroes" I'd been saving for her. It's *the* new favorite show. We watched "The Office" as well. And then we talked about God, as we always do.

The people I work for are big into the "Word of Faith" movement (Google it -- you'll be terrified) and my boss gives their more prominent televangelists money quite regularly. (Just yesterday he wrote 3 company checks for $11,000.00.) He's also been promoting a charlat-- er, I mean "traveling healer" he recently met. This man claims he's a widower living out of hotels and that his specialty is healing people of cancer and AIDS. He says AIDS is easier to heal than cancer, since it always comes from sexual sin. So if this man can "get them in the Word" (a W.O.F. emphatic); "get them to have the right kind of faith" (i.e. a "confession" of what they "believe and receive"); and then get them to repent, he can (bang! zap!) heal them from AIDS on the spot.

Cancer seems to be a bit tougher, but according to this man, it all comes from some former sin they've committed in their lives; some "unforgiveness they still harbor"; some sin they committed and never repented of. But (he says) after he's sat with them, seen that they have the "faith to be healed", and taught them the "right faith", that he can heal them. He says he has healed tons of people, but that church administrators won't let him follow up with most of the people he's healed because "they're jealous of him".

I listened to my boss's account patiently and then asked him simply, "Has anyone he's ever touched believed, had the right faith, received his gift, prayed in faith and not been healed? I'd be curious to know what he does in that situation."

My boss had no satisfactory answer.

As far as the notion that sin causes disease... "For all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God". And again,"If any man says he is without sin, he is a liar and calls God a liar." (I paraphrase, but you get the gist.) So why don't we all have cancer?

Next day I overheard a conversation my boss was having with another co-worker. Seems Mister Healerman doesn't think too highly of Catholics either (surprise, right?). He'd apparently sat down with my boss's Pastor and relayed the "history" of Catholicism and how we all worship Mary and used to kill babies or some-such. I sat in the back office, burning. "What do I do, God? I can't change this man's mind. I haven't joined the church yet, Father... What's my obligation here? What do I do? What do I do?! I'm surrounded Lord. HELP!" I just said nothing and prayed for my boss and Mister Healerman to be un-blinded... I don't know if that was the right thing or not.

I relayed all this to my BFF last night. I told her again: I don't think I'm supposed to change my boss's mind. I think I'm just supposed to be privy to these conversations so that I know what to expect -- what kind of battle I'm getting myself into. I have to be prepared... It's going to be a long road. I just hate that I have to fight in this civil war. I still love them, but I can't let them tear down the Church. When we injure our brother, we injure ourselves. We are all parts of the same whole... But if they're not Catholic...? It's confusing sometimes what my obligation is and what my perspective should be.

In other news, I've got all my Christmas shopping done. (We're prepared 'round here at MoltenThought...) Lookie what I got my BFF!


















For so long we've been Best Friends Forever (a kitsch we use in total jest), "No matching necklaces". Well for my most recent and significant birthday she got us two necklaces from a teen store that cost all of $3.99. She's "best", I'm "friends". It was the best present ever. I squealed I was so thrilled. But I'm afraid our necks will turn green and she really likes sapphires, so I got us two of these for Christmas. It's a bit more permanent. And sparkly. Sparkly, as I'm sure we can all agree, is always good. I obsessed forever on the perfect one. I asked Tef's opinion. He was sensible, as always. "For the love of God -- you're not dating her! Don't obsess!"

Today's work of art for me to hold up and point to? "All Hallow's Eve," by Charles Williams. I'm on page 21 and already totally intrigued.

Coffee's gone and I have a baby shower to host in 2 hours.

Have fantabulous weekends, All!

Peace be with you,

WG

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He'd apparently sat down with my boss's Pastor and relayed the "history" of Catholicism and how we all worship Mary and used to kill babies or some-such. I sat in the back office, burning. "What do I do, God? I can't change this man's mind. I haven't joined the church yet, Father... What's my obligation here? What do I do?

I don't really know what to do either. Part of me would just let it slide. Then another part of me says I'd be fuming, and then yet another part would tell me to make a joke of it when I got the chance. "LOL! I couldn't help but hear you talking about Catholics. It's amazing what some people think about the Catholic Church?" or "LOL! Catholics don't believe that!" Said with a smile, it comes off better than an angry response.

12:46 PM  
Blogger WordGirl said...

Yeah... I usually respond somewhere along those lines. But it was an around-the-corner-from-me conversation. I wasn't really invited. It was hard to know what to do, if anything.

Thanks for the input, martin. I certainly appreciate it.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I were to respond I'd try to do it as a light-hearted matter, not an intense one. At first. If insults and lies continue I probably would get angry.

And it's NEVER wrong to pray for people to be unblinded.

I've done that too, when I've not known what else to do. If God doesn't tell me to affirmatively take a different action I pray.


Elaine T.

4:58 PM  
Blogger WordGirl said...

Thanks, Elaine.
I just hope prayer is "enough"; better yet, I hope it was the thing I was *supposed* to do. I'd feel horrible if I knew God was testing me while making notes on a little clipboard.
"Oh, she 'just' prayed when she really should have taken that guy's head off with her encyclopedic knowledge. *tsk,tsk,tsk*"
I know that's probably not the way it is, but it feels like it.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

I always try to correct misconceptions when I hear them pop up. I try to do it as seriously and matter-of-fact as possible--not like a joke, but not in an angry way either. I don't know. I probably would have walked around the corner and gave a, "I couldn't help overhearing you... I hope you don't mind my jumping in, but..."
But prayer and being a good example is an excellent way to go, too. I mean, for what it's worth, I think you handled it fine. You were at work, afterall.

3:35 PM  
Blogger WordGirl said...

Thanks, Missy.

I'm leaving my job soon and I work in a very small office. It's hard to know what to do sometimes. I'm pretty much surrounded. I try to pick my battles wisely. Most of the time I just ask thoughtful questions and nod a lot. *chuckle* Catholicism probably seems as wacko to them as the Word of Faith philosophy does to me.

Just that I'm *right*. ;-)

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home