MoltenThought Logo
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
Sir Winston Churchill

3.15.2007

Meme-ing Movies

Thanks, T.

1. Name a movie that you have seen more than 10 times.
Gah... Steel Magnolias. I'm from the South. But that still sounds like a lousy excuse.

2. Name a movie that you’ve seen multiple times in the theater.
[humiliated sigh] Ghost. We're not getting started on the right foot here.

3. Name an actor that would make you more inclined to see a movie.
Male: Edward Norton loved him in Fight Club, Death To Smoochy, American History X and 25th Hour. Most actors just annoy me with their whole "look-at-me" complex. Norton has a way of living in the character and letting it bloom without being over-the-top obvious. He comes across as the actual person, not an actor portraying that person. He's a part of the story without sucking all the oxygen out of it. And he makes something as incredibly difficult as that look totally effortless.

Female: Dame Helen Mirren. Lord... I don't think that woman has ever been bad in ANYTHING.

4. Name an actor that would make you less likely to see a movie.
Nicholas Cage. He's just so one-dimensional. "Nicholas Cage IS Nicholas Cage IN 'Nick: The Nick Cage Story' WITH Nicholas Caaaaage!" Which is sad, because he used to have range. Peggy Sue Got Married? Moonstruck? He revealed a bit more of himself (surprisingly) in Ghost Rider... but still. He tends to play his roles way too safe and he's the same guy in every. single. film.

5. Name a movie that you can and do quote from.
Ghostbusters.

This ever happened to you before? No? First time?
What, somebody blows their nose and you wanna' keep it?
["My uncle thought he was St Jerome."] I'd call that a big yes.
He's. Right. Here. Ray. He's. Looking. At me.
She sleeps above her covers. FOUR FEET above her covers. She barks. She drools.
Cats and dogs living together -- MASS HYSTERIA!
That's some twinky.
Killed by a 400 foot marsh-mallow-man?
I feel like the floor of a taxi cab.

6. Name a movie musical that you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs.
Um... Probably Singin' In the Rain.

7. Name a movie that you have been known to sing along with.
The Little Mermaid. The French chef gets me every time.

8. Name a movie that you would recommend everyone see.
Apocalypto. Wow. (Except for that one part with the baby. Cheesy.)

9. Name a movie that you own.
All of them, pretty much. We had to have a shelving system installed in the the closet of the entertainment room. It's that extensive a collection.

10. Name an actor that launched his/her entertainment career in another medium but who has surprised you with his/her acting chops.
Um... yikes. That would be singer-turned-actor, I presume. Uh... I got nothin'.

11. Have you ever seen a movie in a drive-in? If so, what?
Yup, ET: The Extra Terrestrial.

12. Ever made out in a movie?
Next question, please.

13. Name a movie that you keep meaning to see but just haven’t yet gotten around to it.
Lots. This has been sooooo covered.

14. Ever walked out of a movie?
Yes, that god-awful movie where everyone was a suicidal lesbian... Crap! Um, Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, Nichole Kidman? That piece of trash. It was sooooo overwrought and... bleahgch... I had to go. Couldn't take it.

15. Name a movie that made you cry in the theater.
Good Will Hunting.

It's not your fault.
I know.
No, Will, it's not your fault.
I know, I know.
Will... It's not your fault.
[Matt Damon bursts into scared and cathartic man-tears.]

Oh... Lorrrrrd.

16. Popcorn?
Nah... About once every 5th or 6th time, maybe. But never, ever with butter. Gives me incredibly painful "gastric distress".

17. How often do you go to the movies (as opposed to renting them or watching them at home)?
About once a month or less. We have Netflix, a big screen and the aforementioned Collection. We should sell popcorn in our kitchen and charge people to come sit on our couch.

18. What’s the last movie you saw in the theater?
300. It veritably oozed testosterone.

19. What’s your favorite/preferred genre of movie?
Thriller/Mystery. I like puzzles.

20. What’s the first movie you remember seeing in the theater?
The Black Stallion.

21. What movie do you wish you had never seen?
Borat. And anyone who's seen it knows why. I will have THAT image stained on my brain FOREVER.

22. What is the weirdest movie you enjoyed?
Barton Fink. Everything means something else. Very cool.

23. What is the scariest movie you’ve seen?
Ohmygoh, POLTERGEIST. I cannot watch it alone. And I cannot sleep afterwards. I think I saw it too young. It scares the hell out of me.

24. What is the funniest movie you’ve seen?
That's hard. There are so many good ones. Ahhhhm... recently? The Forty-Year-Old Virgin was pretty funny. I laughed in spite of myself. Beerfest was actually pretty funny as well. Yeah, I'm a classy broad...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made a huge(HUGE) mistake in thinking my 15yr old daughter and (almost)14yr old son would find 40 YR OLD VIRGIN funny and yet get the real ~wait-'til-you're-married~ message. I'd read a thread about it on Althouse, you see.

1/2way thru this movie(the part where his bosswoman ~propositions~ him) i jumped up and turned the TV off- then collapsed in tears on the floor saying something like, "I'm soooo sorry- i'm going to burn in hell, burn in hell, i tell you!!" all the while banging my head against the floor(not too hard).

Never (no duh, eh?) let a kid watch a movie you have not previously gone thru w/a fine-toothed comb.

It was ok watching w/my husband(who couldn't believe i'd let the kids see it, btw). I think i was still too guilt-ridden to enjoy it's ~subtleties~ (hah).

7:54 PM  
Blogger WordGirl said...

Yeah, definitely not one for the kiddos...

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home