MoltenThought Logo
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
Sir Winston Churchill

5.31.2007

Family Time

Please excuse Teflon and me as we take a little break from blogging for about a week. Family obligations demand that we care for Tef's aging mother who has Alzheimer's. She finally got a spot in a facility that specializes in Alzheimer's treatment and we must move her this weekend, as well as settle other family arrangements. One or two perks to this trip, where we're going is cooler and since we're going back to Tef's home town, the food will be FANTASTIC. *chuckle* So we got that goin' for us...

The thing about Alzheimer's facilities is that their patients can't know they're coming. They might get violent, abusive or... whatever, so this move will come as a complete surprise to Tef's mother; a woman who has lived the last fifty-plus years in her house. It's not pleasant for anybody, least of all her family, but getting her to a place where her meals will be provided, clothing washed and her decline understood will be much better for her than the uncertain quarters she now occupies.

As a wife, this process is quite a learning curve. I can only imagine what Tef must be feeling and thinking. And I'm trying to put myself in his shoes. Still for me, so disconnected from the roots and deep-seated associations with his home and family, I feel pretty much powerless to alleviate much of any pain or pressure. I've only met his mother once. She didn't come to our wedding. My plan is to keep my head down and just do what I'm told. And to listen to Tef if he needs my ear, hug him when he needs hugging and try to keep things calm and relaxed. My hero -- who has saved me so many times from loneliness, despair and hardship -- needs my help now... though he would never, ever admit it. I'm honored to help him, invincible as he seems.

So please keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we take on this next uncertain week. We'll be back soon.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WG- you can be assured that you and Teflon are in my thoughts and prayers as you take care of your family.

You have instinct about folks(probably growing up in the family that you did)(reading people's body language, intentions, etc) and will be of such comfort to your husband. Side by side- Thy will be done.

O/T = i'm beginning to understand the ~enforcement~ cry of the Right. I guess i just figured that was a given. My warmth for much of these people is wearing off- but, a new jumping off point is needed badly, IMhumbleO.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Cullen said...

I do hope that all goes well for you guys. I do have an inkling of what this must be like, so you have my sympathy. And my prayers.

Take care and I look forward to seeing your net presence again soon.

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WG-- My prayers are with you and Tef. A few years ago my wife had the task of taking her father to a nursing home. Like your situation, he too had Alzheimers. I watched as she suffered watching a man she often described as "strong" (his occupation was flooring installer)become very weak.

This will be a rough time, made only marginally easier with faith and prayer.

I pray as the Lord did - "let this cup pass... "

Peace be with you all.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home