MoltenThought Logo
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
Sir Winston Churchill

1.07.2008

Weekend Photoblogging---Christmas

Haven't done a good photoblog in awhile---several follow as I've finally had time to clean out my CompactFlash card.

Since becoming Catholic, the lighting of the Advent candles has become a household tradition:

Advent Candles Cursing Darkness

One of WordGirl's Christmas gifts was a set of Venetian candle holders:

Candle Holder Filigree

We have a lovely light-up globe in the study which sits across from the Christmas tree:

Lit Globe
Caesar approves:

Caesar approves
WordGirl picks some disturbing stocking holders:

Metal Santa

WordGirl received a music box with some dancers a couple of Christmases back:

Tiny Dancers

Wouldn't be Christmas without Christmas trees and ornaments, would it?

Red Ornament

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

What well done pics you've taken!

I'm looking into getting a digital SLR .... what kind of camera/lens do you use?

12:21 PM  
Blogger Teflon said...

Thanks, Martin.

I use a Canon EOS 20D. The camera itself is quite excellent, although in general I think Nikon's image processor still has the edge. Canon lenses remain the best, however, and ultimately the lens is more significant in producing a great photo in my opinion.

Since lenses often cost as much as the camera body, you'll want to do your homework on these.

My kit includes:

1 70-300mm image-stabilized telephoto zoom lens

1 18-55mm walkaround lens

1 24-75mm wide angle lens

1 60mm macro lens

I recommend ultimately having at least one lens of each type, probably procured in walkaround, wide angle, telephoto, and macro order.

Image-stabilized lenses are a necessity for the telephoto (a little jitter really impacts the final image at 300mm, even on a tripod) and optional for the others in my view. If I had it to do over again I would have gone IS on everything; it makes a huge difference in handheld and lowlight conditions.

The Perfect Picture School of Photography (http://ppsop.com)offers excellent online courses (you get assignments, upload your pics, and get critiques from instructors and fellow students) at a reasonable price. I've taken several, and they've really helped me get more out of my camera and lenses.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for that help.

I've been looking at the new Nikon D300 with a Nikor 18-200 zoom lens to start with. I figured that lens would cover alot of bases and give me some flexibility. That's what on my wish list for now.

I have a two week backpacking trip with my son this coming summer and it'll give me some time to read, practice and it figure out. That Perfect Picture School sounds ideal!

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home