MoltenThought Logo
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
Sir Winston Churchill

8.25.2005

Bleary

The Wedding approaches. Can't wait. Want to be done with all this crap. Want to be standing at the door in my perfect gown, breathless with the excitement of seeing MF's face light up as he gazes upon his bride. Can't wait for the covenant I am about to enter into with God. (And lemme' tell ya', can't wait for the honeymoon.)

Can't wait to eat the fabulous dinner we're shelling out $35 a head for (complete with open bar). Can't wait to dive into the cake we paid $600.00 for -- I'll have two slices, thank you. In fact, can't wait to eat period. With the high school reunion thing this weekend and the ensuing portraits, posings and meetings with out-of-towners, I'm purposely slogging through the day with as little food in my stomach as possible. (Night before last I had a 1/2 cup of rice and a slice of cheese for dinner. Yes, that's right, the food horizon is a gray one.)

Add to this the regular stresses of work, home and family. Add to that my bridesmaids.

Bridesmaid #1:
Hasn't done JACK. Hasn't shown up for one single solitary event. Is in charge of ordering my shoes. Hasn't returned my phonecalls (I must have them no later than Friday. I've left three messages.) Still hasn't let me know if she's going on the bridesmaids/bridal/bachelorette weekend trip -- which means (since she hasn't shown up for anything else) that she's not going and is avoiding me so she won't have to tell me she's an even bigger slackheap than I previously thought. Why is she even a bridesmaid? Known her since I was 2. Parents are all "friends". Political move, plain and simple.

Bridesmaid #2:
(aka Friend Who Always Arrives Late, One Who Has Phone Strapped To Her Head At All Times) Her Dad was supposed to emcee and now (7 weeks prior) "forgot" he had a business conference that weekend. She emailed me this information on Monday, then suggested we get someone completely inappropriate to do it. I'm wondering if she understands anything about professionalism. Yesterday, she informed me she can't go on the out of town trip due to her financial situtaion (she's 28 and still lives at home even though she's a loan officer -- at her Dad's company). We are leaving next Friday and returning on Sunday. She was going to stay behind to transport bridesmaid #3, who works the graveyard shift on Friday night and would otherwise be unable to come. Now, since bridesmaid #2 has backed out, no one will be able to take her. Did I mention this whole trip was bridesmaid #2's idea in the first place? Did I mention she planned this entire weekend?

Bridesmaid #3:
(Of Our Married Friends fame, aka Hospital Bridesmaid) Now that bridesmaid #2 is out, #3 is coming clean. She didn't want to go in the first place. She would have had to leave her 3 month old daughter with her mother (who is incredibly overworked), her husband (who, even though we LOVE him, is not totally comfortable alone with the baby) or her father (ditto). She doesn't have any "mad" money. She'll be waking up from the graveyard shift and won't be peppy at all -- for the whole trip. All of these items are understandable and completely valid. THAT'S WHY SHE SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED THEM WHEN WE BEGAN PLANNING THIS TRIP 2 MONTHS AGO.

Bridesmaid #4:
Has totally stepped up to the plate. This girl might just emerge as my new best friend. She was a pain in my butt for the first several months I knew her. I made her a bridesmaid to make her feel included and to give her a chance (the rest of the girls and I were reasonably wary of her). This may have turned out to be the single best decision I have made in recent years. (Ranking only second to saying yes to MF in the first place.) She and MF didn't get along the first few months they knew each other either. I even thought I was going to have to split them up a couple of times. She's unique, interesting, a little odd, has no filter between her brain and her mouth... but she's fun, has a disarmingly dry wit, is loyal, sweet and completely indispensible. MF has even warmed up. She's just a tough person to get to know. But once you do, yowsa. Thank God for this girl.

Matron of Honor:
This is my sister. My sister and I are so tight, if everyone else backed out on me, I would take her out for the weekend and we would have a total and complete blast. Even if we were broke and dirty. She's awesome. Solid as a rock. Other girls should be so lucky. And did I mention that she's also super busy, overworked, and not exactly rolling in dough? Of course not. Because she won't let any of that get in the way of making my wedding special. She's absolutely precious. I love my sister. When everyone else is whining and backing out of responsibilities, she's plugging on, doing what needs to be done and showing me how much she loves me. I'm so blessed.

This time in my life is busy. It is stressful. But it is also telling. Of what am I made? Of what are my relationships made? What are my priorities? What can be let go? Who do I love? Who loves me in return?

I am tired. But it will all be worth it once my vows are said.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Underneath all that exterior snark, you have a warm and golden heart. You're next post should be on the *weekend*, love to know to where you'll go... I don't know what's up w/the poetry. Just me.

Keep your chin up, gal. It definitely IS worth it and you'll notice nothing thru the ceremony except YF!!

11:02 AM  
Blogger WordGirl said...

Thanks, sweetie. (Or should I call you "muffin"?)

And I want you to know I worked on your blogathon request post for about three weeks before it finally got published yesterday... it's loooong. I'm late but at least we kept our promise!!! I hope I did your request justice.

Thanks again!

WG

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Lord. Bridesmaids woes. How well I know!

I really should blog about our wedding someday. QUITE a story. Let's just say we almost eloped. I was glad to be married to MB, but I could have done without the family feuds raging on our day. Awful.

Hey, as far as the bridesmaid thing -- let me know if there's anything I can do for you. I know I'm all the way over here in So Cal and you're .... somewhere else, but I put that out there nonetheless because I know how frustrating it is when your posse is full of nonresponsive twit wits.

Now, so THIS weeked is your reunion?
Full report expected, of course.

And Karen can be "muffin," but I am "sweet pea," remember?

Okay.

12:41 PM  
Blogger WordGirl said...

OH HONEY, JUST PRAY! I mean Sweet Pea, Sweet Pea... *thump head, thump head* ;-)

Oh yes, full report will commence asap after said reunion.

And Bridesmaid #4 is HANDLING the out of town weekend with no problem. (Funny how that works out.) Wonderful. I ran all this by MF. He said I need to have a "come to Jesus" on no uncertain terms.

Rest assured the reunion, girls weekend, and any catfights WILL be blogged.

WG

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yes... Awesome!! I left a comment, but there are so many things to say about such an old Faith. i'm really thankful you took the time, thank you!!

Can't wait for all your upcoming posts; take notes:)!

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home