MoltenThought Logo
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
Sir Winston Churchill

4.24.2006

Confessions of An Indoor Girl

'Kay, so I've been locked indoors for ah... 5 days now. Finally able to breathe unassisted (like the Zyrtec was working in the first place -- which it wasn't) and bored poo-less. I've found ways to occupy my time, however. Figured I'd share.

I have sort of a schizoid frame of mind most days. My imagination vacillates between romps in the English countryside, sipping tea bashfully; to a New York crime scene, smirking smugly and glugging cheap coffee. I can physically exist in neither world, but both bring perspective to my own.

Right now I'm sort of in the latter group, though I always allow for a sharp U-turn into Victorian Britain. Which just furthers the case for Sainting my husband. Can you imagine trying to guess my mood from minute to minute? Saint, I tell ya'...

What I'm watching now:
Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations on the Travel Channel. If you haven't TiVo-ed it, you need to. Not for the kids, okay? But so funny and smug you'll rewind the asides at least once per episode.

What I'm reading now:
Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic, by David Currie. Excellent case analysis of the Catholic Church from a lifelong Fundamentalist Evangelical -- who converted at 40.

What I'm drooling over now:
















The Polar S-210 Heart Rate Monitor: Once you use the Personal Performance functions of the S-210, you'll wonder how you ever got by just knowing your heart rate. OwnIndex determines your fitness level after just 5 minutes at rest by estimating your VO2 max; OwnCal automatically shows your calorie usage; ExerciseSet automatically saves your settings for a specific workout. Other functions: Three settable target zones, interval function, recalls time spent in, above, below target zone, 1-beat increment target zone settings, out of zone alarm, average heart rate, % of maximum heart rate, lap times with heart rate, stopwatch, time of day, time of day alarm, and backlight.
Oh, Mama...

Dansko Professional Black Oiled Shoe:
Yeah, they're clogs. What's your point? If you owned a pair of these, you'd understand. Slip 'em on and go. For days. You can stay on your feet longer, walk farther and look cuter than if you're just in tennis shoes. They're made for chefs and retail workers who have to stand for long periods. Hence the Professional.

I have a brown pair already. Got 'em on the stupid layover in Boston (when we were supposed to be in Ireland on our honeymoon and the stupid airline temporarily "misplaced" my stupid luggage). Husband might regret buying them for me since they did, in fact, change the way I thought about shoes -- just as the slight, wiry, overly-caffeinated salesman told me they would. We joked about it as we jaunted across Ireland. We'd be plowing up the side of a castle in awed silence and suddenly I'd ponder out loud, "You know... these Dansko have changed my entire way of thinking about shoes." They have them in burgundy too.

What I'm Listening to Now:
Bach: The Art of Fugue has recently been added to my library, courtesy of SuperHusband. Nothing like a good fugue...

And the gooey Michael Buble also showed up at the house, mysteriously.

What I'm Working Out With Now:
(Just in case anyone cares...)
Cathe Friedrich's Lo Max: Low Max is a 70 minute High Intensity Low Impact workout performed on an 8 inch step height. The workout begins with an 8 minute warm up and is followed by 7 low impact step combos alternated with 7 low impact intensity blasts. A 6 minute stretch completes the workout. The combos are broken down with just enough learning curve so that they do not become overly repetitive for future workouts.
So fun, it's just wrong. I shouldn't enjoy Step this much.

And I'm working up to Cathe Friedrich's Imax III:
This is a fast paced 60 minute workout consisting of a 9 minute warm up, 10 mini step combos alternated with 10 interval blasts, and a cool down complete with a stretch. For the most part, each step combo will be familiar moves put together in a refreshing way.
Refreshing?!

A couple of new moves will be mixed in here and there to keep you on your toes.
AARRGGHH!

Intensity blasts are at times longer than the step combos themselves. Each blast consists of a combination of about 2 to 3 intense moves (per blast) that repeats itself about 4 times (per blast) and gradually brings you to your lactate threshold.
Can't breathe... Quads on fire... Can't breathe...

You will find that all the blasts vary in length and intensity keeping your muscles challenged and inspired.
HA!

To really up the overall challenge, we have even reduced the recovery time between some of the "milder" intervals.
Thanks! Nice quotation marks!

A cool down will follow the last blast and then a relaxing stretch will complete the workout.
Once I've mastered this DVD I'll know I've arrived... somewhere...

Cathe Friedrich's Boot Camp + Muscle Endurance:
Boot Camp: Did somebody say "terminators", yikes! Load up, lace up, and let's go! Format: warm-up (5 1/2 min.), eight cycles of cardio, lower body, upper body, core (51 min.), stretch (1 1/2 min.) Total = 58 min.
Muscle Endurance: This high rep, total body conditioning workout not only increases functional fitness gains, but it promotes nicely shaped and defined muscles. You'll experience maximum muscular endurance gains along with strength gains as you challenge each of the major muscle groups through a wide variety of exercises. Total = 64 1/2 min.


Hard, but fun. And I now have huge East-German weightlifter arms... So there's that, I guess.

Although I do get intimidated looks sometimes when I bust out in my new sun dress.


















See? U-Turn.

However, this model seems to be of anor-blimic, pre-treatment-center, no-curves lineage. And this is apparently a size 000. Imagine blindingly white skin, hips, the aforementioned "ahms" and dark brown hair in an 8. Fun! And I just got the kickiest shoes, too.

And has anyone noticed that designers this season have no clue what they're pushing on women? I think tequila shooters, a giant shredding machine and a Robo-Sew-er were involved in this Spring's catastrophe. Stores are racked with homeless-hippie couture, 80's monochrome or Sesame Street neon. It's like a bad acid trip in mall, man. *sigh* Further proof: Designers are aliens.

If it wasn't for Ann Taylor and her sister's fun little Loft... Well, I just wouldn't want to imagine a world without them. And even they jump ship sometimes. I just tried on something the other day that made me look vaguely like Mrs. Roper on Three's Company.

The pollen count is holding steady at 11.999 on a scale of 12 for the next while, so I'll be indoors if anyone needs me.

Waiting.

Sighing.

Driving my husband crazy.

1 Comments:

Blogger WordGirl said...

*sigh*
*nod*
*sigh*
*wheeze*

WG

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home