MoltenThought Logo
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
Sir Winston Churchill

2.11.2007

Weekend Photoblogging --- Belmont Abbey

It's been way too cold these past couple of months for so dainty a soul as me to drag my camera hither and yon in search of photographic gold. It's not much warmer, but I've signed up for an online digital photography course and the first assignment called for photographing a building's architecture. Since I couldn't get my pictures of a series of blueprints to come out properly, I had no choice but to head into the cold. And since WordGirl mistakenly allowed that whole "for better and for worse" clause to make it into our vows, I dragged her along with me.

We trekked to Belmont Abbey, a Benedictine abbey which has taken college education as its primary focus and so has built up an entire campus around it. Surely if interesting architecture were to be found for this assignment, it was here.

I'd never been to the Abbey before but thought it looked like a pretty promising subject:

A Promising Subject

All of those angles pointing heavenward amp up a building's dramatic loom potential:

It Looms

As you may have noted from our previous church photoblogging, I like to get pictures of the various crosses adorning steeples:

Fancy Cross

Simple Cross

There was a running fountain just outside the monastery. I love moving water shots. In this case, the best one involved a fairly quick shutter speed to freeze the action:

Fountain Freeze-Frame

The Abbey being the home of a Benedictine order, St Benedict is featured prominently on the front steps:

St Benedict and Cross

There is also a large clock tower. The telephoto zoom brought it up close and personal:

The Hands of Time

Through the magic of the telephoto lens and an awkward body position on freezing concrete, I composed an entry for my class assignment:

Timeless Virtue

From some angles, St Benedict looked colder than we felt:

The Lonely Shepherd

Time to head inside then.

The great thing about photographing churches is that there is usually lots of stained glass art to snap:

The Mother Ship?

Two Saints

Two More Saints

Stained Glass Rose

St Anselmus

St Mary

Of course, it wouldn't be a church without an organ:

Backlit Organ

Organ and Window

Here's a depiction of the risen Christ which immediately invokes Catholic Spain:

Risen Christ

I think even non-Catholics would agree that this sculpture of Mary and Jesus is beautiful:

Mary and Jesus

A small votive candle off of the altar was too tempting a target for my camera:

Votive Candle

All right---I admit it. I was holding back the best two stained glass shots. Check out the detail on these beautiful windows:

St Gertrude

St Patrick

Finally, we can't leave Belmont Abbey without a detail shot of the ancient doors through which many a brother and sister have passed:

Weathered Door

More information on Belmont Abbey can be found here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! Is the second to last stained glass shot St. Scholastica (St. Benedict's sister)?

I just received a digital camera as a gift but I haven't had the opportunity to try it out much yet. Seems as if a lot of the tips I had for taking 35mm photos won't be applicable to digital.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Teflon said...

You may be right, Kate---I didn't get any shots of the full window and assigned it to St Gertrude based on a comment WordGirl made, although after the fact neither of us were quite sure.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The abbey's distinct style is due to the fact that the man who created it is very famous, though I cannot remember his name, but if you go to the abbey's web sight and talk to brother Michael Bose he has all the info on the school and if you know the builder it could help your project,

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home