MoltenThought Logo
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
Sir Winston Churchill

7.25.2006

Pretentious Names

The pretentious name fad continues apace.

The newest baby in WG and my circle will have the middle name "Skylar".

That got me thinking as to what first/middle name combinations we could come up with that might be more pretentious and twee even than that:

Terrence Godfrey
Madison Wisconsin
Existential Lulu
Chandler Precious
Porus Prophylaxis
Desmond Starchild
Hallelujah Amen
Your Lordship
Peerless Praise
Eucalyptus Flavor
Samwise Aragorn
Buick Skylark
Carbon Neutral
Martin Luther King Jr.

You get the idea.

It seems the height of solipsism to me for parents to saddle their children with a name intended to show how creative the parents were. The kids are people in their own right, no? Why stick them with a moniker out of some silly notion that people around you will go, "Ellspeth Dragoon? What a wonderful name! Wish my parents had called me that!"

That's why WG and I have elected to name our future progeny based strictly on old school tradition.

Alexander the Great if it's a boy and Mary, Queen of Scots if it's a girl.

Tradition.

2 Comments:

Blogger linearthinker said...

I've always liked Major Major Major from "Catch 22" in that catagory. When he achieved field-grade rank, I believe he became Major Major Major Major.

OT: I started the book as an undergraduate in the early 60s. Put it aside. Too much fantasy. Later, I reread it while I was a cog in the green machine. I could identify several individuals who were profiled by Heller.

5:56 AM  
Blogger WordGirl said...

This reminds me -- I know three sisters: Faith, Hope and Joy.

Last name? "Galore" or "Sublime" is about the gist of it. Too precious.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home